|Search and Destroy|
|Also known as|
|Win 3-9 rounds with the aid of teammates|
|3 minutes per round, 40 seconds once bomb has been planted|
|3v3 to 8v8 (6-16 players)|
|Regular: Average (Clan Matches: High)|
|Dredge Red Canyon|
|Since the beginning of Combat Arms|
Search and Destroy is one of the original game modes released in Combat Arms. In this game mode, team Alpha is the offense; they must plant bombs to destroy enemy operations. Bravo Team is the defender; they are given the task to eliminate all opposition and defuse any bombs.
On each of the available maps there are two bomb sites: Alpha (A) and Bravo (B). Alpha Team can choose either one to attack, depending on the map or statistics. To plant a bomb, a player must be in (or close enough to) the Bomb Plant circle and swap to his/her Mission Item (by pressing 6), then hold the left mouse button for 6 seconds. A one minute timer will begin. During this time, Bravo's primary role is to defuse the bomb, which will cause Alpha to lose.
To defuse a bomb, simply aim at the bomb and hold down your action key, which is by default the "E" key. Many Alpha players will swoop in on Bravo players while a defuse is in progress. Eliminating all Alpha members is a secondary, although most of the time easier, goal.
Through the whole course of Search and Destroy, if a player dies, he/she cannot respawn in that round. Instead they speculate their teammates. Alpha wins by either killing off Bravo or letting the bomb's timer run out. Bravo wins by defusing the bomb or eliminating all of Alpha before they can plant the bomb.
Search and Destroys goal limit can be set to 3, 5, 7, or 9 rounds by the Room Master.
In this Game Mode, most players stick to extreme gear. They either tank, with a heavy vest, helmet of some sort, and a machine gun (mostly Bravo because they must defend) or they go as light as possible, using a Submachine Gun, a Light Vest, and a speed boosting cap (mostly Alpha, since they can dodge around the heavier Bravo members to get to the bomb). An exception to this lies when players use snipers, such as the favored L96A1 Arctic Wolf or a L96A1 that has been suppressed (either Alpha or Bravo, but an Alpha player with this gear must be better at sniping than someone from Bravo, since all Bravo has to do is defend with an L96A1, and Alpha must charge up to the enemy with it).
These days SnD games are usually a lot faster and action packed then what they used to be. This is mainly due to Nexon releasing more NX speed gear over the years and today rushing (both in Alpha and Bravo) has become a strategy that many has adapted to. This also splitted the community in two parts. One part that claims ESL/WOGL and similar rules for this mode is the only right way to go (such rules that encourage camping and a slower game play). The rest of the community that do not really care about these so called rules and use whatever gear they want to.
The round ends when:
- All Alpha members are killed (and the bomb has not been planted) (Bravo gains a point)
- All Bravo members are killed (Alpha gains a point)
- The bomb is successfully detonated (Alpha gains a point)
- The bomb is successfully defused (Bravo gains a point)
- Time is up (Bravo gains a point)
- In any Search & Destroy round, you MUST hide the bomb if possible, if not guard the bomb and protect it from Bravo.
- In Snow Valley, it is very important and critical that you must have proficient snipers and traps underground.
- If on Bravo you must setup an emergency plan to reach the bomb site quickly without haste.
- If on Alpha you should split up into two groups where one goes to bomb site A and the other to site B. This is because a full team going together can easily sustain huge losses if they are hitted by a nade for example.
- Snipers and campers are the dominating wolves in the game, they will ensure that Bravo will keep bombs from being planted and for Alpha, they will cover the bombs planted (if not hidden) and take out anyone who will try to defuse the bombs. However, rushers and people with smg's have become increasingly usual.
- Bravo rush can be a good option to surprise your enemy.
- If on Alpha, NEVER EVER leave the bomb site because that will allow the other team to defuse if you are not aware.
- Search and Destroy was once one of the most popular game modes. However, since the arrival of Elimination Pro, there has been a large loss in popularity among the larger masses. Few players stuck to it, and even fewer started playing it.
- It is speculated that Alpha is the UAF and Bravo is WarCorp.
- If time runs out with the bomb not planted and the same number of players are left on both teams, then the round will automatically count towards Bravo's score.
- One can assume that the time bomb used in Search and Destroy has been made from scratch since it appears to be made with plastic and a cell phone.
- Planting, defusing, and bomb detonation times were decreased in a patch.
- During the weekend of 9/17/10 to 9/19/10, if you played:
- 5 matches of Search and Destroy, you would get a free 1-day Heartbeat Detector.
- 10 matches of Search and Destroy, you would get a free 1-day Anti-Flash_Goggles.
- 15 matches of Search and Destroy, you would get a free 1-day Tracker Knife.
- Planting the bomb in the Gray Hammer's Warehouse will cause the glass at the top of the building to shatter when the bomb successfully detonates.
- This is the most realistic game mode currently in Combat Arms because players do not respawn after death and their bodies do not disappear.
- Sometimes, after a round ends and the next round starts, every player's screen may start to shake from the detonation/defusing of the bomb. A player's screen may even fade to black for a few seconds. This often occurs in the map Warhead.
- The first ever Clan Map was a Search and Destroy map.
- It borrows a type of strategic game play found in most popular FPS games, including Counter Strike and Call of Duty.
|One Man Army • Elimination • Search and Destroy • Capture the Flag • Spy Hunt • Fireteam/Campaign • Quarantine Regen • Elimination Pro • Bombing Run • Last Man Standing • Training Grounds • Seize and Secure • Hired Guns|
|Bomb • Flag • Intel Case • The Infected • Super Spy Items • Snowball Fight Items|