|“||Razor sharp and difficult to see, Caltrops are ideal for creating traps for enemies too foolish to watch where they run. Stepping on Caltrops decreases movement speed and causes severe bleeding, hindering the target as they lose HP.||”|
|— The Arsenal|
Caltrops are spike traps that slow down and create bleeding damage to enemies who step on them. The bleeding damage is similar to M23F Incendiary and G7A Gas damage. Players receive five Caltrop sets and deploy five Caltrops for every set used for a total of twenty-five Caltrops per respawn. A single set of Caltrops deal around twenty damage after the DOT is over. However, their damage stack just like incendiary gas and mines. Caltrops affect Infected in Quarantine Regen as well, dealing 1-2 damage per second while providing minimal knockback although they can slow the infected down thus giving humans ample time to escape into a saferoom.
Caltrops are one of the least used Operative Items in the game, due to it being easily destroyed by explosives and enemies.
- The word caltrop is derived from the Latin calcitrapa (foot-trap).
- The user holds a set of five Caltrops bunched together in his/her hand, which is physically impossible in real life.
- If a player bought a 30 Days Caltrops upon its release (between 1/26 and 2/2 at 11am PST), they would receive a free 7 day Specialist 2 Slot License.
- The user's left hand features an awkward position when deploying Caltrops.
- A player bleeding having stepped on Caltrops will hear a wet splatting sound coming from them and the screen will blink a light red color.
- After their release, unlike other explosive items, a player's Caltrops used to remain even after they have become Infected. These Caltrops, instead of infecting humans, used to deal damage and slow them down just like enemy Caltrops. This has since been patched in the 2-16-2011 Content Update like the Infected Nade.
- In real life, Caltrops don't look like the ones in-game, they more look like small spike balls with a steel center.
- Caltrops used to push back infected in Quarantine mode. This has been fixed after the 2-16-2011 Content Update.
- Caltrops was originally released in Combat Arms Europe as a event in which you had to design a item or specialist.
- If an enemy destroys the Caltrops (without stepping on it), the item's explosive won't hurt them.
- In Fireteam, Caltrops used to make the soldiers/Infected walk slower than their normal speed. This has been changed after the 2-16-2011 Content Update.
- Caltrops was classified under Explosives after its release. After the 2-16-2011 Content Update, Caltrops can be used in a "No Explosives" game.
|Codename:Scorpion • Codename:Viper • Codename:Hawk • Codename:Raven • Captain Souza • Codename: Lynx|
|Classic Scorpion • Classic Viper • Classic Hawk • Classic Raven • Classic Souza|
|Medkit • Stamina Kit • First Aid Kit • Flamethrower • M32 Grenade Launcher • M32 Incendiary Bomb • M32 Stun Grenade • M134 Minigun • Claymores • M93 Hornet • Auto-Turret • Caltrops • Satellite Scanner • Airstrike Designator - LGB • Airstrike Designator - Napalm • Remote Grenade|
|Specialist 2 Slot License • Specialist Backpack License • Warlord • Eagle Eye • War Cry|