The Ability System is an in-game feature that takes the form of unique items. It was released during the first part of the Fusion:Enhance update, on 8/25/11.
Each ability is categorized into one of two types: Passive and Active
- Passive Abilities will automatically kick in as soon as you equip them, so you don't have to do anything other than play.
- Active Abilities require button activation (thus the name) before the ability actually works.
Some abilities take up more "space", due to their efficiency. So a very powerful ability may count as using three at once, so you aren't able to use anymore than just that one ability.
List of Current Abilities
These are all the abilities currently in the game.
A honed throwing arm allows you to control how far you throw, letting you choose exactly how hard to toss a grenade.
Unlocked at the rank of Recruit (550 EXP).
You’ve become more subtle and deft, allowing you to make very little noise when you move. This Ability is not in effect while sprinting.
Unlocked at the rank of Private (1,200 EXP).
When you kill an enemy player, there’s a chance they may leave behind Limited-Ammo, All-Ammo, or Recovery Items! You will have a short time to pick these up, after which they will be free for your team to recover.
Unlocked at the rank of Private First Class (2,500 EXP).
You can attune yourself to the sounds of enemy movement. Footsteps will come in loud and clear as long as you have Stamina to fuel it. When Stamina runs out, Awareness effects disappear. To activate this press ~ + (slot number its in) without the "+"
Unlocked at the rank of Corporal (5,000 EXP).
When you achieve a Multi-Kill or better, your normal movement speed will increase to your sprint movement speed and will not cost any Stamina. You will not be able to sprint while this effect is active. If you make a Multi, Ultra, Fantastic, or Unbelievable Kill while the effect is still active, the duration of the effect will be refreshed. This effect resets if you die.
Unlocked at the rank of Sergeant (8,700).
You have a steady hand, when you scope in with a sniper, there will be no swaying of the crosshair. Uses Stamina to maintain a steady aim, so conserve your Stamina or use extra Stamina gear.
Unlocked at the rank of Staff Sergeant (15,00).
As of "The Belly of the Beast":
Obtained through the second Daily Job. Requires two Ability Slots.
Earn 10 GP for any firearms recovered from fallen enemies during the heat of battle. This ability works up to 10 times per match. Requires two Ability Slots.
Obtained through Shop.
Respawn time is shortened by a specific amount of time. Requires all three Ability Slots.
Obtained through Shop.
Allows the player to pick up weapons from a fallen player's backpack.
Obtained through Shop.
As of the "Best of the Best Update":
Installs a reusable "Warlord" that allows allies to refill partial amounts of their primary & secondary ammo. The warlord can be destroyed by both teams, and requires all three Ability slots to use this ability.To use Warlord you must press ~ then 1,2 or 3. (or X then 1 holding BOTH together )
Prevents the loss of stamina for a set period of time. Requires two Ability Slots.
Improves accuracy for both you and your teammates. This ability will not apply to any weapons not dependent on accuracy (such as Mines or Claymores). Requires two Ability Slots.
All are obtained within the Shop, for both NX and GP. These abilities can only be used by Operatives.
As of the "Cover of Darkness Update":
Allows the player to trade all his/her sprint stamina to recover lost HP.
Marks enemy traps (e.g. mines) via red indicators. This ability was avaliable for permanent duration on 12/21/12, at a price of 900 NX.
All are obtained within the Shop, for both NX and GP. These abilities can only be used by Assassins.
As with all game features, there has been plenty of criticism regarding the Ability System's flaws.
- The Pitcher ability is rather frustrating for some players in Combat Arms, since the grenade thrown will either ricochet back to the player hurling at a far wall or sail straight into the sky and out the map with it never coming back down.
- Many people are complaining about the Steady Hand ability being "overpowered" due to the no sway advantage.
- Resourceful can be seen as broken by some, for the fact you can get lucky at surviving longer. Not a highly broken ability but being able to replenish health/ammo, just from killing someone is rather overpowered.
- Unknown if it is glitched or not, the 'Resourceful' ability seems to be active even in games with Abilities turned off. That is, HP and ammo packs still drop. Many people complain that this unbalances the game.
The warlord dropped by the "Warlord" ability.